BUFFALO, N.Y. - Freshman Aliani Lorenzo scored two second half goals to help Cleveland State earn its first win of the 2016 season with a 2-0 victory at Canisius on Friday night.
NEED TO KNOW
• Score: Cleveland State 2, Canisius 0
• CSU Goal Scorer: Aliani Lorenzo (2)
• CSU Assists: Katie Bainbridge, Stacie Morris
• Canisius Goal Scorers: None
• Records: Cleveland State (1-2); Canisius (0-3)
• After a scoreless first half, Lorenzo gave the Vikings a 1-0 lead at the 61:33 mark when she netted her first career goal off a corner kick from Katie Bainbridge.
• It was the seventh career assist for Bainbridge, moving her into a tie for seventh place on the all-time list in CSU history.
• Just over two minutes later, Lorenzo extended the CSU lead to 2-0, scoring from 25 yards out of an assist from Stacie Morris.
IN THE NET
• Jamie Daniels played all 90 minutes in goal for the Vikings and made four saves to earn the shutout.
• It was her fifth career shutout, moving Daniels into third place on the all-time list in program history.
• A total of 18 different players received action tonight with Daniels, Marissa Sarsfield, Toni Dickson and Carly Cerny playing all 90 minutes.
• Canisius out-shot the Vikings, 13-9, but CSU held a 5-4 advantage in shots on goal. The Golden Griffins took six corner kicks to four for the Vikings.
• The Vikings improved to 5-4 all-time against Canisius and have won four straight in the series.
• CSU plays its fourth straight road match to open the season on Sunday (Aug. 28) at Niagara. Kickoff is slated for 1:00 pm.