CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's soccer team fell to Valparaiso, 1-0, in the Horizon League opener for both teams on Friday night at Krenzler Field.
NEED TO KNOW
• Final Score: Valparaiso 1, Cleveland State 0
• Halftime Score: Valparaiso 1, Cleveland State 0
• CSU Goal Scorers: None
• CSU Assists: None
• Vaparaiso Goal Scorer: April Cronin
• Records: Cleveland State (3-6, 0-1 HL); Valparaiso (4-5, 1-0 HL)
• April Cronin scored the lone goal of the match in the 23rd minute.
• Cronin had a run up the right side into the box and her initial shot was saved by CSU goalkeeper Jamie Daniels.
• However, Cronin was able to gather the ball after it was knocked around in the box and scored her fifth goal of the season.
IN THE NET
• Jamie Daniels made nine saves in goal for the Vikings, playing all 90 minutes.
• It marked the sixth time this season that Daniels has made at least six saves in a match.
• Valpo held a 17-12 advantage in shots and had 11 shots on goal to CSU's two.
• Both teams took four corner kicks.
• Dani Sowinski had a scoring chance early in the match with a run up the left sideline, but her shot inside the box was wide of the near post.
• KK Smith had a chance to tie the match at 1-1 five minutes before the half, but her shot off a corner kick was just wide.
• With just over two minutes to play in the match, Maren Melnick fired a shot from 20 yards out that hit the crossbar.
• CSU continues Horizon League play next Saturday (Sept. 24) with a 7:00 pm match at Oakland.