ROCHESTER, Mich. – Ashley Thiss scored her first goal of the season two minutes into overtime to lift Cleveland State to a 3-2 victory at Oakland on Saturday night. Bianca Sarti and Kaila Sargema also scored goals for the Vikings.
NEED TO KNOW
• Final Score: Cleveland State 3, Oakland 2 (OT)
• Halftime Score: Oakland 2, Cleveland State 1
• End of Regulation Score: Oakland 2, Cleveland State 2
• CSU Goal Scorers: Bianca Sarti, Kaila Sargema, Ashley Thiss
• CSU Assists: Dani Sowinski
• Records: Cleveland State (4-6, 1-1 HL); Oakland (4-6-1, 1-1 HL)
• Oakland took a quick 1-0 lead with a goal 7:34 into the match, but Bianca Sarti scored her first career goal in the 26th minute to knot the contest at 1-1.
• Sarti took advantage of a failed clear from the Golden Grizzlies, blasting a shot from 15 yards away to net her goal.
• The Golden Grizzlies regained a 2-1 lead six minutes before the half and carried that lead into the locker room.
• It stayed that way until the 53:04 mark when Kaila Sargema scored her team-leading fourth goal of the season and the 16th of her career, third all-time in CSU history.
• Dani Sowinski tallied the assist on Sargema's goal on a cross that Sargema was able to re-direct into the back of the net.
• After a scoreless final 37 minutes forced overtime, Thiss netted the Golden Goal just two minutes into overtime when her shot from 17 yards out found the upper part of the net.
IN THE NET
• Jamie Daniels made three saves in goal for the Vikings, playing all 92 minutes.
• Oakland out-shot the Vikings, 18-9, including 5-4 in shots on goal.
• Both teams took three corner kicks in the match.
• Tonight's win marked the first-ever for CSU against Oakland in five all-time matches.
• Daniels, Megan Barrick, Sarti and Toni Dickson logged all 92 minutes for the Vikings as 17 different players saw action.
• CSU returns home for two Horizon League matches next week.
• The Vikings host Wright State at 7:00 pm on Wednesday (Sept. 28) and welcome Northern Kentucky to Krenzler Field on Saturday (Oct. 1) for a 4:00 pm match.
• The match vs. Northern Kentucky will be a doubleheader with the CSU men hosting Green Bay at 7:00 pm.