CLEVELAND, Ohio – Kaila Sargema scored her team-leading fifth goal of the season, but UIC tallied a goal right before the end of the half and added another early in the second half to claim a 2-1 victory over the Vikings on Saturday night at Krenzler Field.
NEED TO KNOW
• Final Score: UIC 2, Cleveland State 1
• Halftime Score: UIC 1, Cleveland State 1
• CSU Goal Scorers: Kaila Sargema
• CSU Assists: Dani Sowinksi
• Records: Cleveland State (4-9, 1-4 HL); UIC (5-7-2, 3-2 HL)
• Kaila Sargema gave the Vikings a 1-0 lead with her team-leading fifth goal of the season at the 38:05 mark of the first half.
• Sargema took a cross from Dani Sowinski and buried home a one-timer from inside the six-yard box.
• It was Sargema's 17th career goal and improved her career point total to 38. Both totals rank third in school history.
• UIC tied the contest at 1-1 at the 41:33 mark when Naomi Rushe knocked her second goal of the season after a scramble in the box following a corner kick.
• The game-winner came just 2:40 into the second half when Rebeca Pallo carried a ball down the right sideline, made her way into the box and scored on a shot to the far post.
IN THE NET
• Jamie Daniels made one save for the Vikings, while Kelly Fritz posted seven saves for UIC.
• The Vikings out-shot UIC, 13-9, including an 8-3 advantage in shots on goal.
• UIC took seven corner kicks, while the Vikings took two.
• Jamie Daniels, Kaila Sargema and Toni Dickson started for the 13th straight time this year. The trio, along with Marissa Sarsfield, McKenna Vento and Megan Barrick, all played 90 minutes.
• Sargema finished with six shots, including four on goal.
• CSU travels to Detroit next Saturday (Oct. 15) for a 1:00 pm contest.