THE OPENING KICK:
• Cleveland State will close out its current three-match homestand this weekend, hosting Northern Kentucky at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 13.
• The Vikings enter this weekend's contest with an 8-4-1 record on the year, including a 4-0-1 mark in #HLWSOC play.
• Saturday's match against NKU will be the second contest of a Cleveland State Soccer doubleheader, as the men's team will take on IUPUI at 4:00 p.m. prior to the women's contest.
HORIZON LEAGUE PLAY:
• Under head coach Dallas Boyer the Vikings own a 9-4-1 record in regular season Horizon League matches.
• Last week, the Vikings earned their third straight shutout in a 5-0 decision over Green Bay to remain undefeated in #HLWSOC play.
• After four weeks of league action, the Vikings are tied for second in the league standings, just two points out of first place.
BEST #HLWSOC START IN PROGRAM HISTORY:
• Entering this weekend's matchup against Northern Kentucky, the Vikings are off to their best #HLWSOC start in program history, owning a 4-0-1 mark through five league matches.
• Cleveland State's previous best start in league play came during the 2015 season, when the Vikings went 3-0 to start the #HLWSOC campaign before dropping their first league contest.
• Cleveland State posted its fifth shutout of the season last Saturday, earning a 5-0 victory against Green Bay to improve to 6-1 at Krenzler Field this season.
• The five goals marked a single-match high for the year, while it marked the seventh time in program history that the Vikings have tallied five or more goals in a contest.
CLEVELAND STATE VS. NORTHERN KENTUCKY:
• Saturday's match against Northern Kentucky will be the fifth meeting all-time between the two teams, with the overall series tied at 2-2.
• Cleveland State came away victorious in the last meeting, picking up a 1-0 win at NKU last year behind an Elaina Walnoha goal.
VIKINGS EARN UNITED SOCCER COACHES ACADEMIC HONOR:
• Earlier this month Cleveland State was named a United Soccer Coaches All-Academic Team, earning the honor for the 10th straight year. During the 2017-18 academic year, Cleveland State posted a 3.62 team GPA and had 24 student-athletes named to the Cleveland State Dean's List.
• Head coach Dallas Boyer, in his second season in the top spot, has been on the coaching staff for 12 of the 15 seasons in program history.
• Cleveland State enters the week as one of three remaining unbeaten teams in the Horizon League, joining Milwaukee (5-0-0) and Northern Kentucky (4-0-1).
• The Vikings enter the weekend on a three-match winstreak, marking the 10th time in program history that they have been able to string together three straight wins.
• Cleveland State is also unbeaten in its last five matches, which is tied for the second longest unbeaten streak in program history (5-0-1 during 2013).
• As a team, the Vikings enter the week ranked second among league teams with 25 total goals this season, while they also rank second averaging 1.92 goals per game.
• With last Saturday's offensive output against Green Bay, the Vikings eclipsed the 25-goal mark for the season for the fourth time in program history, and with at least four more matches this season, the Vikings are closing in on the program record for single-season goals (28 in 2014).
• Last time out, senior Dani Sowinski tallied her seventh assist of the season, tying the program record for single-season helpers which was set by Lisa Conway back in 2006. For her career, Sowinski ranks second in the CSU Record Book with 12 total assists.
• Entering the weekend, McKenna Vento is tied for first in the league standings with five total goals this year, and currently ranks seventh in the CSU Career Record book with 11 career goals.
• Stevie Holbrook enters the weekend with 46 total saves on the year, and leads the Horizon League with a .821 save percentage.
• The Vikings will have a midweek contest at Detroit Mercy on Wednesday, October 17, before hosting Wright State in the final regular season home match of the year on Sunday, October 21.