CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team dropped its first Horizon League contest of the season Saturday evening, falling to Youngstown State, 6-1.
"This was a tough match for us today, unfortunately we lost the doubles point after having it in our hands," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "I thought we played great doubles despite dropping that point, and we played well on all three courts. Next time around I think our No. 2 team will be able to play better tennis and we will be able to pick up that point."
Victoria Bensimon picked up CSU's lone point on the day, earning a 6-2, 6-2 victory at No. 6 singles. Bensimon has now won four straight singles matches, and improved her overall record to 12-12 this year.
"We didn't get far enough into the singles matches to help us down the stretch even though we definitely had places to do so. We need to improve our play in the tight spots and in the big moments, and I believe if we do that we could beat this team on another day. Hopefully we will have that opportunity, because the league is wide open after today's matches. The rest of our league matchups are going to be crucial down the stretch," Etzkin said.
The Vikings were also able to pick up a win at No. 3 doubles, as Kara Sherwood and Bensimon claimed an 8-3 victory. Cleveland State gave the Penguins all they could handle during doubles play, as YSU picked up an 8-5 win at No. 2 doubles and then squeezed out an 8-7 (4) victory at the top of the lineup.
Cleveland State will return to action tomorrow (Sunday, April 6), when they take a break from league play to face Duquesne at 3:00 p.m.
Youngstown State 6, Cleveland State 1
- M. Sadovnikova/Marta Burak (YSU) def. Alex Power/Ellen Folkers (CSU), 8-7 (4)
- Dominika Lackova/Annina Brendel (YSU) def. Alex Bush/Princess Gbadamosi (CSU), 8-5
- Kara Sherwood/Victoria Bensimon (CSU) def. Nehel Sahni/Carolyn Jesko (YSU), 8-3
- M. Sadovnikova (YSU) def. Lauren Golick (CSU), 6-2, 6-4
- Marta Burak (YSU) def. Alex Bush (CSU), 6-4, 6-4
- Dominika Lackova (YSU) def. Kara Sherwood (CSU), 6-3, 6-3
- Annina Brendel (YSU) def. Mathilde Orange (CSU), 6-2, 6-3
- Nehel Sahni (YSU) def. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU), 6-4, 6-4
- Victoria Bensimon (CSU) def. Carolyn Jesko (YSU), 6-2, 6-2