STOW, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team closed out a three-match roadswing Saturday afternoon, falling at Akron, 7-0.
"This was another tough loss for us today, but we competed hard throughout the entire match and that makes me so proud of this team," associate head coach Frank Polito said. "If we keep competing like we did today and keep getting a little better at each spot, I know we will be able to reach our goals at the end of the season."
Junior Aleksandra Golawska had Cleveland State's best singles performance on the match, as she battled, but came up short in a 6-2, 6-7 (4), 1-0 (5) decision at the No. 2 spot.
Golawska was also part of Cleveland State's best doubles match on the day, as she teamed with Blanche Lenoan to force their No. 3 doubles match to a tiebreaker before falling 7-6 (5) to the Zips.
The Vikings will return to the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion next weekend, hosting Butler (10:00 a.m.) and St. Bonaventure (2:00 p.m.) in a doubleheader on Saturday, March 4.
Akron 7, Cleveland State 0
1. Knezevich/Maksimava (AKR) def. Bensimon/Schober (CSU), 6-3
2. Blinova/Geier (AKR) def. Spindler/Gbadamosi (CSU), 6-1
3. Newnes/Pedroso (AKR) def. Golawska/Lenoan (CSU), 7-6 (5)
1. Sophia Geier (AKR) def. Isabella Spindler (CSU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Ariadna Blinova (AKR) def. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU), 6-2, 6-7 (4), 1-0 (5)
3. Rita Pedroso (AKR) def. Victoria Bensimon (CSU), 6-2, 7-5
4. Karalina Maksimava (AKR) def. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Luisa Echeverry (AKR) def. Jana Schober (CSU), 7-5, 6-4
6. Carli Knezevich (AKR) def. Blanche Lenoan (CSU), 6-1, 6-2