CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team got back on the winning track Saturday, picking up back-to-back victories over Butler (5-2) and St. Bonaventure (7-0).
The trio of Princess Gbadamosi, Jana Schober, and Blanche Lenoan all went 2-0 in singles action on the day, while the doubles teams of Isabella Spindler/ Gbadamosi and Aleksandra Golawska /Lenoan both went 2-0 in doubles play.
With the two wins today, Gbadamosi moved into a tie for eighth place on the CSU Singles Wins list, finishing the day with 62 career victories.
Five Vikings now have double-digit singles wins on the year, including Victoria Bensimon who has a team-high 12 singles wins.
Cleveland State 5, Butler 2
During the first match of the twinbill the Vikings were able to pick up a 5-2 victory over the Bulldogs, behind a strong singles performance.
After picking up the doubles point with wins from Isabella Spindler and Princess Gbadamosi at the No. 2 spot (6-3) and Aleksandra Golawska and Blanche Lenaon at No. 3 doubles (6-2), the Vikings were able to pick up four straight singles points to clinch the overall match.
Cleveland State's first singles win came from Lenoan at the No. 6 spot, as she cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 victory. Jana Schober followed that up with a 6-2, 6-1 win at the No. 5 spot, and Gbadamosi clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-0 victory at No. 4 singles.
The final singles win of the match for the Vikings came at the No. 3 spot, with Golawska posting a 7-6 (2), 6-2 victory.
1. Padgett/Sutton (BU) def. Bensimon/Schober (CSU), 6-1
2. Spindler/Gbadamosi (CSU) def. Minnick/Koester (BU), 6-3
3. Golawska/Lenoan (CSU) def. Eaton/O'Byrne (BU), 6-2
1. Bailey Padgett (BU) def. Isabella Spindler (CSU), 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (8)
2. Rachel Sutton (BU) def. Victoria Bensimon (CSU), 2-6, 7-5, 1-0 (9)
3. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU) def. Jocelyn Koester (BU), 7-6 (2), 6-2
4. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU) def. Kailey Eaton (BU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Jana Schober (CSU) def. Angela Avgerinos (BU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Blanche Lenoan (CSU) def. Callie Schmitt (BU), 6-0, 6-1
Cleveland State 7, St. Bonaventure 0
The Vikings continued their winning ways during the second match of the doubleheader, picking up a 7-0 sweep against St. Bonaventure.
To pick up the doubles point, the Vikings got wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots, with Isabella Spindler and Princess Gbadamosi earning a 6-1 win at No. 2 and Aleksandra Golawska and Blanche Lenoan posting a 6-0 victory at No. 3.
The Vikings then swept all six singles matches, with five of the six wins coming in straight sets. Cleveland State's first two wins came from Lenoan at No. 5 singles (6-1, 6-3) and Jana Schober at No. 4 singles (6-1, 6-3), with Gbadamosi clinching the match with a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 3 singles.
Spindler was the next Viking to pick up a win, posting a 6-3, 6-1 victory at the top of the lineup, while Katy Quillin moved into the singles lineup to earn a 6-3, 6-2 victory at the No. 6 spot.
The final singles win of the day came from Victoria Bensimon at the No. 2 spot, with the senior fighting for a 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 (5) victory.
1. Bensimon/Schober (CSU) vs. Martinez-Santori/Bowe (SBU), 2-5, unf.
2. Spindler/Gbadamosi (CSU) def. Herberts/Reisinger (SBU), 6-1
3. Golawska/Lenoan (CSU) def. Chin/Mortier (SBU), 6-0
1. Isabella Spindler (CSU) def. Mara Martinez-Santori (SBU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Victoria Bensimon (CSU) def. Gabriella Bowe (SBU), 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
3. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU) def. Clara Herberts (SBU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Jana Schober (CSU) def. Dominique Mortier (SBU), 6-1, 6-3
5. Blanche Lenoan (CSU) def. Kahlei Reisinger (SBU), 6-1, 6-3
6. Katy Quillin (CSU) def. Francesca Chin (SBU), 6-3, 6-2
From The Sidelines
"These were two big wins for us, we had a total team effort on the courts during both matches and we finally got our momentum going in the right direction," associate head coach Frank Polito said. "I'm very happy with the fight and energy that we had on all of the courts today, and I am so proud of this team for sticking through the harder parts of the season and finally seeing their hard work pay off. Now we will prepare for our Spring Break Trip and get our first taste of outdoor tennis."
The Vikings will return to action on their annual Spring Break Trip, traveling to Lamar (Monday, March 13) and Sam Houston State (Wednesday, March 15) for a pair of dual matches.