BEAUMONT, Texas – The Cleveland State women's tennis team opened up its annual Spring Break Trip Monday afternoon, coming up just short against the Lamar Cardinals, 4-3.
"Once again we had a battle on the courts today, coming up just short in a hard-fought match," associate head coach Frank Polito said. " We played some really good doubles today, including a pair of matches at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots where we had to battle and earn come-from-behind wins. Throughout doubles and singles play they showed a lot of heart and focus today, which is a great sign for our first outdoor match of the season. Jana and Aleksandra played some tough, gutty singles matches, and hopefully we can build on their success next time out."
For the third time this season, the Vikings were able to sweep all three doubles matches, picking up the opening point for the seventh time this spring. At the top of the lineup Victoria Bensimon and Jana Schober earned a 6-2 victory, while Isabella Spindler and Princess Gbadamosi battled back from being down 1-5 to pick up a 7-5 win at No. 2 doubles. The Vikings also posted a come-from-behind win at the No. 3 spot, with Aleksandra Golawska and Blanche Lenoan fighting for a 6-4 victory.
Although the Vikings held the 1-0 advantage heading into singles play, Lamar was able to pick up the first four singles points, clinching the match before Golawska and Schober were able to put their singles points on the board.
Golawska, who improved to 4-1 at No. 3 singles with her win Monday afternoon, posted a 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (3) victory. The win gives her an 11-9 overall singles record this year, while it also gives her 45 wins for her career, just five wins shy of becoming the 14th Viking all-time to reach the 50-win milestone.
Schober picked up her third straight singles win, notching a 7-6 (4), 4-6, 1-0 (8) victory at No. 5 singles. For the season, Schober now stands at 11-13 overall, including a 7-6 singles mark this spring.
The Vikings will close out their Spring Break Trip on Wednesday (March 15), traveling to Sam Houston State for a 2:00 p.m. EST contest.
Lamar 4, Cleveland State 3
1. Bensimon/Schober (CSU) def. Lapayeva/Spengler (LAM), 6-2
2. Spindler/Gbadamosi (CSU) def. Marchena/Merchiers (LAM), 7-5
3. Golawska/Lenoan (CSU) def. Buchta/Elfving (LAM), 6-4
1. Katya Lapayeva (LAM) def. Isabella Spindler (CSU), 6-3, 6-0
2. Anna Spingler (LAM) def. Victoria Bensimon (CSU), 6-3, 6-0
3. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU) def. Jasmin Buchta (LAM), 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (3)
4. Talisa Merchiers (LAM) def. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU), 6-2, 6-4
5. Jana Schober (CSU) def. Sanja Jolic (LAM), 7-6 (4), 4-6, 1-0 (8)
6. Janna Elfving (LAM) def. Blanche Lenoan (CSU), 6-2, 7-5