MIAMI, Fla. – The Cleveland State women's tennis team opened its two-match roadswing through Florida Tuesday afternoon, dropping a 4-0 contest at FIU, the 38th ranked team in nation.
From The Sidelines
"From the beginning we knew this was going to be a tough test for us, but overall I thought we did a good job of competing throughout the entire match against one of the top teams in the country. This was our first match outdoors, so we had to adjust to that style of play, and when you are going up against a top-40 team you have to do everything right, which just didn't happen for us today. We can definitely take some teaching moments from this match, and hopefully apply those to our next match tomorrow." – Associate head coach Frank Polito
• 2018 Record: 4-9
• Entering Tuesday's match, FIU was ranked No. 38 in the nation – the first top-50 opponent for the Vikings this season.
• This marked the first time that the Vikings were playing outdoors during the spring season.
• Tuesday's match against the Panthers started a two-match Florida roadswing for the Vikings during their annual Spring Break Trip.
• Jana Schober snapped a five-match winstreak Tuesday, dropping just her second match of the spring season.
• At the top of the singles lineup, Isabella Spindler faced the No. 4 player in the nation in Andrea Lazaro.
• Cleveland State's top doubles team of Aleksandra Golawska and Isabella Spindler played an unfinished match against the No. 9 doubles team in the nation in Ulyana Grib and Maryna Veksler.
• Cleveland State will return to action tomorrow (Wednesday, March 14), traveling to Barry – the No. 2 ranked team in Division II – for a 3:00 p.m. contest.
1. Grib/Veksler (FIU) vs. Golawska/Spindler (CSU), 4-1, unf.
2. Markovic/Bozinovic (FIU) def. Lenoan/Schober (CSU), 6-1
3. Lazaro/Caluk (FIU) def. Perin/Schoenberg (CSU), 6-1
1. Andrea Lazaro (FIU) def. Isabella Spindler (CSU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Ulyana Grib (FIU) vs. Gaby Schoenberg (CSU), 6-2, 4-0, unf.
3. Maryna Veksler (FIU) def. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Sandra Bozinovic (FIU) def. Jana Schober (CSU), 6-1, 6-3
5. Mina Markovic (FIU) vs. Anastasia Perin (CSU), 6-6, unf.
6. Nerma Caluk (FIU) vs. Blanche Lenoan (CSU), 6-1, 4-2, unf.