CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team handed Wright State its first Horizon League loss of the season Saturday, as the Vikings battled for a 4-3 victory against the Raiders.
From The Sidelines
"This was a great team win today! I switched No. 2 and No. 3 doubles this week, and both teams came out very strong today and really got us off to a great start. I thought we played awesome in doubles from start to finish, and getting that early point really gave us some momentum. In singles, the two freshmen set the pace for us, as Ana and Gaby put us up 3-1 pretty quickly, and then Isabella clinched the match for us with a great win at the top of the lineup. Isabella was playing somebody that is a tough matchup for her and she was able to come out on top this time. Now we just need to keep taking care of business and get ready for Northern Kentucky tomorrow." – Associate head coach Frank Polito
· 2018 Record: 9-11, 5-1
· Cleveland State picked up its third straight win Saturday, and its fifth out of the last six matches.
· The Vikings now own a 16-5 record against Wright State all-time.
· Cleveland State is 22-8 all-time in the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion, and 11-2 against league opponents.
· The Vikings picked up the early doubles point for the third time in league play this season, picking up matching 6-2 victories from Gaby Schoenberg and Jana Schober at No. 2 doubles and Blanche Lenoan and Anastasia Perin at the No. 3 spot.
· Anastasia Perin picked up Cleveland State's first singles win on the day, earning a 6-3, 6-1 victory at the No. 6 spot. Perin is now 8-9 this spring, including a 3-1 mark against Horizon League opponents.
· Gaby Schoenberg gave the Vikings a 3-1 advantage following her win at No. 2 singles, as she earned a 6-1, 6-4 victory. Schoenberg is now 16-11 overall this season and 11-6 this spring.
· Cleveland State's clinching point came from Isabella Spindler at the top of the lineup, as she battled for a 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 victory, picking up her sixth win out of the last seven matches. Spindler now owns a team-best 17-12 overall record, including an 11-8 mark this spring. Spindler is also now 5-1 against league opponents at No. 1 singles.
· Cleveland State will host Northern Kentucky tomorrow (Sunday, April 15), in its final home match of the 2018 spring season.
1. Spindler/Golawska (CSU) vs. Haller/Morgan (WSU), 3-4, unf.
2. Schoenberg/Schober (CSU) def. Pelayo/Whitney (WSU), 6-2
3. Lenoan/Perin (CSU) def. Riley/Milano (WSU), 6-2
1. Isabella Spindler (CSU) def. Karoline Haller (WSU), 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
2. Gaby Schoenberg (CSU) def. Haily Morgan (WSU), 6-1, 6-4
3. Luisa Pelayo (WSU) def. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU), 6-0, 6-4
4. Madison Riley (WSU) def. Jana Schober (CSU), 6-2, 6-7(3), 6-3
5. Jillian Milano (WSU) def. Blanche Lenoan (CSU), 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
6. Anastasia Perin (CSU) def. Grace Whitney (WSU), 6-3, 6-1