CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team opened its 2019 spring slate Sunday afternoon, picking up a 7-0 sweep against St. Bonaventure.
PDF BOX SCORE | Cleveland State 7, St. Bonaventure 0
· Isabella Spindler's win at the top of the lineup gave her 48 wins on her career, as she is now just two wins shy of becoming the 15th Viking all-time to reach 50 career wins.
· Kateryna Avram now has a team-high eight singles wins this year following her straight-set victory at No. 5 singles against St. Bonaventure.
· Sunday's sweep over St. Bonaventure marked the first win for Frank Polito as a head coach at Cleveland State.
· Sunday's win marked the first time that the Vikings have been victorious in their season opener since the 2010-11 season, while it also improved Cleveland State to 10-1 all-time against St. Bonaventure.
· The Vikings are now 24-8 all-time in the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion.
Cleveland State was able to earn the early 1-0 advantage after picking up the doubles point, sweeping all three doubles courts. The Vikings picked up matching 6-2 victories at No. 1 (Klara Mrcela/Kateryna Avram) and No. 2 doubles (Lara Prosenjak/Gaby Schoenberg), while Isabella Spindler and Siân Payne cruised to a 6-0 win at the No. 3 spot.
Payne was then able to give the Vikings a quick 2-0 lead after notching a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 4 singles, before Schoenberg put the Vikings up 3-0 with a 6-0, 6-2 victory at the No. 6 spot.
Cleveland State's clinching point came at No. 2 singles then, as Mrcela earned a 6-1, 6-2 victory to give the Vikings their first win of the 2019 spring season.
Prosenjak followed that up with a 6-4, 6-1 win at No. 3 singles, while Avram (6-4, 6-0) and Spindler (6-2, 6-4) closed out the sweep with a pair of solid matches at the No. 5 and No. 1 spots, respectively.
From The Sidelines
"This was a good start of the spring season for us, I thought as a whole we played well in doubles and singles. It was nice to get the early doubles point, because that always gives you momentum heading into the singles matches, which we were able to capitalize on today. I thought Lara did a great job of persevering in her match and finishing strong, while Siân and Gaby were able to get us some quick points today. I'm looking forward to getting back to practice next week, and continuing our improvement against Dayton next weekend." – Head Coach Frank Polito
· The Vikings will continue the 2019 spring season next weekend, hosting Dayton at 2:00 p.m. on Friday, February 1.
Doubles (3, 1, 2)
1. Avram/Mrcela (CSU) def. Abreu/Roque (SBU), 6-2
2. Prosenjak/Schoenberg (CSU) def. Reisinger/Stanley (SBU), 6-2
3. Spindler/Payne (CSU) def. Buse/Velilla (SBU), 6-0
Singles (4, 6, 2, 3, 5, 1)
1. Isabella Spindler (CSU) def. Penelope Abreu (SBU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Klara Mrcela (CSU) def. Kahlei Reisinger (SBU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Lara Prosenjak (CSU) def. Andrea Roque (SBU), 6-4, 6-1
4. Siân Payne (CSU) def. Buse Gunay (SBU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Kateryna Avram (CSU) def. Paula Velilla (SBU), 6-4, 6-0
6. Gaby Schoenberg (CSU) def. Emily Stanley (SBU), 6-0, 6-2