TOLEDO, Ohio – Following a week off from competition, the Cleveland State women's tennis team returned to the courts Friday afternoon, dropping a hard fought 4-3 contest at Toledo. This marked the second match of the spring season for the Vikings, as they now stand at 1-1 this year.
PDF BOX SCORE | Toledo 4, Cleveland State 3
· Cleveland State's three points on the day came from wins at the No. 3, No. 4 and No. 6 singles spots.
· Friday's match marked the first road contest of the spring season for the Vikings.
After dropping the doubles point and the first singles match, the Vikings were able to tie the match at 2-2 following wins at No. 4 and No. 6 singles.
Cleveland State was then able to gain a 3-2 advantage when Lara Prosenjak picked up a come-from-behind 3-6, 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 3 singles, but the Rockets were able to close out the match with wins in the remaining two singles matches, to come away with the 4-3 victory.
From The Sidelines
"I really like the fight I'm seeing in this team, I think the sky is the limit with all of the competitiveness that this team plays with. Because of that, we will be able to keep ourselves in any match, and put ourselves in a position to be able to win every match we play this spring."
"We played really well in singles, which was highlighted by the fact that we lost four first sets, but rebounded to send three of those matches into three-set matches. One of these matches came from Lara, who was able to finish strong despite getting off to a slow start, which I was very proud of today. Siân and Gaby played solid matches from start to finish, and were really in control for their entire match."
"With this being just our second match of the season, we were able to pick out some things that we need to continue to improve on, which we will do moving forward this weekend, and in the coming weeks at practice." – Head Coach Frank Polito
· Cleveland State will close out the weekend with a 1:00 p.m. match at Bowling Green on Sunday, February 10.
Doubles (2, 1, 3)
1. Leenabanchong/Carlson (UT) def. Avram/Mrcela (CSU), 6-4
2. Carney/Chishaki (UT) def. Prosenjak/Schoenberg (CSU), 6-3
3. Aleck/Fuller (UT) def. Spindler/Payne (CSU), 6-4
Singles (1, 4, 6, 3, 2, 5)
1. Dee Dee Leenabanchong (UT) def. Isabella Spindler (CSU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Eileen Carney (UT) def. Klara Mrcela (CSU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
3. Lara Prosenjak (CSU) def. Kokoro Chishaki (UT), 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
4. Siân Payne (CSU) def. Kiersten Carlson (UT), 6-4, 6-4
5. Christina Fuller (UT) def. Kateryna Avram (CSU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
6. Gaby Schoenberg (CSU) def. Claire Aleck (UT), 7-5, 6-2