MORGANTOWN, W. Va. – Despite getting off to the quick 1-0 start with the doubles point, the Cleveland State women's tennis team fell at West Virginia Friday, dropping a 5-2 decision to the Mountaineers. With the loss, the Vikings fall to 1-3 on the young season.
PDF BOX SCORE | West Virginia 5, Cleveland State 2
· This marked the second time this season that the Vikings were able to pick up the doubles point, earning wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles.
· Kateryna Avram posted the lone singles point of the day for the Vikings, capturing a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 6 singles. Avram now has a team-best 10 singles wins this year, including a perfect 2-0 mark when playing at the No. 6 spot.
From The Sidelines
"We played really well in doubles today, Klara and Kate saved two match points and then went on to win their match, while Gaby and Lara just took care of business. I'm really proud of how the top two doubles teams are playing, and their hard work in practice over the last week is paying off."
"We started a little slow in singles, but fought hard to get back in the matches. Again, the fight in this team is unbelievable and it will pay off for them towards the end of the season. Kate played really well today in her singles match, she started strong and finished even stronger. We will take a day to regroup on the practice courts now, and then get back at it at Duquesne on Sunday." – Head Coach Frank Polito
· The Vikings will close out the weekend on Sunday, February 17, traveling to Duquesne for a 2:00 p.m. match.
Doubles (3, 2, 1)
1. Mrcela/Avram (CSU) def. Goetz/Roc (WVU), 7-5
2. Prosenjak/Schoenberg (CSU) def. Duran/Bovolskaia (WVU), 6-3
3. Courteau/Rosiello (WVU) def. Spindler/Payne (CSU), 6-1
Singles (2, 4, 1, 3, 5, 6)
1. Paula Goetz (WVU) def. Isabella Spindler (CSU), 6-3, 7-6(2)
2. Sofia Duran (WVU) def. Klara Mrcela (CSU), 6-4, 6-0
3. Nicole Roc (WVU) def. Lara Prosenjak (CSU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
4. Anastasia Bovolskaia (WVU) def. Siân Payne (CSU), 6-1, 6-3
5. Anne-Sophie Courteau (WVU) def. Gaby Schoenberg (CSU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Kateryna Avram (CSU) def. Giovanna Caputo (WVU), 6-3, 6-1