March 1, 2013
Contact: Renee Adam
"I am really proud of the fight and the heart that this team showed tonight, we are definitely starting to see how good we can be," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "I was excited to start off with the doubles point, we still aren't where we want to be in doubles, but we made a step forward today. We started off slow in singles today, going down really fast in first sets, but luckily the team dug in and made comebacks on almost all of the courts. We were really able to focus and maintain our composure during singles to come away with the victory tonight."
The Vikings got off to a strong start, earning wins in two of the three doubles matches. Alex Power and Maria Lazaris posted an 8-5 victory at No. 2 doubles, followed by an 8-6 win from Alex Bush and Kara Sherwood at No. 2 doubles to clinch the point for CSU.
IPFW was then able to even the match with a victory at No. 1 singles, before CSU rattled off four straight singles wins to claim the match. Power was the first Viking to earn a singles victory, posting a 7-5, 6-1 victory at the No. 3 position, followed by Sherwood at the No. 4 spot who tallied a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 win.
Lazaris clinched the match with a 1-6, 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 5 singles, while Ellen Folkers tallied CSU's final singles victory at No. 6 singles (1-6, 6-4, 6-2).
The Vikings will have a quick turnaround now, as they travel to Duquesne for a 4:00 p.m. match tomorrow (Saturday, March 2).
Cleveland State 5, IPFW 2
1. BUSH, Alex/SHERWOOD, Kara (CSU) def. Anita Henestrosa/Caterina Kiefer (IPFW) 8-6
2. POWER, Alex/LAZARIS, Maria (CSU) def. Theresa Neumeyr/Miloslava Shustova (IPFW) 8-5
3. Marcy Huck/Kristine Lindal (IPFW) def. ORANGE, Mathilde/FOLKERS, Ellen (CSU) 8-7 (4)
1. Anita Henestrosa (IPFW) def. Orange, Mathilde (CSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Kristine Lindal (IPFW) def. BUSH, Alex (CSU) 7-6 (5), 7-6 (7)
3. Power, Alex (CSU) def. Caterina Kiefer (IPFW) 7-5, 6-1
4. Sherwood, Kara (CSU) def. Miloslava Shustova (IPFW) 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
5. Lazaris, Maria (CSU) def. Marcy Huck (IPFW) 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
6. Folkers, Ellen (CSU) def. Theresa Neumeyr (IPFW) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2