April 28, 2012
Contact: Renee Adam
"The doubles point was huge for us today, we didn't get it the last time we played Detroit and it really put us on the right path this morning," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We played focused and determined tennis, picking up first sets in all of the singles matches. Nicole was playing an opponent that she lost to last time, so when she was able to get the first set it sparked the rest of the team."
Cleveland State picked up the first point of the day with victories at No. 3 and No. 2 doubles. Kara Sherwood and Nicole Janek cruised to an 8-1 victory at the No. 3 spot, while Alex Power and Alex Bush battled for an 8-6 win at No. 2 doubles.
After pulling out a 7-6 (4) win in the first set and a 6-3 win in the second set, Maria Lazaris gave CSU a 2-0 lead with a victory at No. 2 singles. Immediately after Lazaris finished, Janek extended the CSU lead to 3-0 with a 6-4, 6-3 victory at the No. 4 spot.
Senior Catrine Bjerrehus clinched the match for the Vikings, earning a 6-1, 6-2 victory at No. 1 singles.
"We faced some pressure in all of the matches today, which was great preparation for the finals match. We are looking forward to tomorrow's match, and if we keep up our level of play I think we are capable of great things," Etzkin said.
Tomorrow's championship match is scheduled to be played at North Central High School beginning at 10:00 a.m. Check back to www.CSUVikings.com for updates on the time and location of tomorrow's contest.
Cleveland State 4, Detroit 0
1. Bjerrehus/Lazaris (CSU) vs. Cornwell/Strakhova (UDM), 7-5 UF
2. Bush/Power (CSU) def. Halabi/Karoub (UDM), 8-6
3. Sherwood/Janek (CSU) def. Fernandes/Korson (UDM), 8-1
1. Bjerrehus, Catrine (CSU) def. HALABI, Raina (DETW) 6-1, 6-2
2. Lazaris, Maria (CSU) def. KAROUB, Chloe (DETW) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
3. Sherwood, Kara (CSU) vs. STRAKHOVA, Elena (DETW) 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
4. Janek, Nicole (CSU) def. CORNWELL, Amanda (DETW) 6-4, 6-3
5. Bush, Alexandra (CSU) vs. FERNANDES, Julia (DETW) unfinished
6. Power, Alex (CSU) vs. KORSON, Alyssa (DETW) unfinished