CLEVELAND, Ohio – With a five-set victory over Green Bay on Senior Day, the Cleveland State volleyball team picked up its 20th win of the season and clinched the 2017 Horizon League Regular Season Title. The Vikings will now enter the Horizon League Tournament as the No. 1 seed, and own a 20-7 overall record and finished #HLVB play with a 13-3 mark.
2017 Horizon League Regular Season Champions
· With Friday's victory over Green Bay, Cleveland State clinched the 2017 Horizon League Regular Season Championship – their third straight regular season title and their fifth in program history. The Regular Season title now gives Cleveland State the No. 1 seed in the upcoming tournament (Friday, November 17 – Sunday, November 19) which will be hosted by the Vikings.
· Alexis Middlebrooks and Sara Skeens each recorded 18 kills on the match to lead the Viking offense.
· Gina Kilner recorded 53 assists against Green Bay.
· Shannon Grega led the Viking defense with 23 total digs, while Rachael Dohar added 14.
· As a team, the Vikings recorded nine service aces, including four from Shannon Grega.
· Alexis Middlebrooks led the Vikings with five total blocks on the match, while Sara Skeens added three.
· Friday's victory marked the 20th win of the season for the Vikings, as they notched their eighth 20-win season under head coach Chuck Voss and their 17th 20-win season in program history.
· Cleveland State extended its winstreak to 10-straight matches and has won 11 of its last 12 contests.
· Rachael Dohar set a career-high with her 14 digs against the Phoenix.
· The nine service aces marks a season-high for the Vikings.
· Cleveland State will be the top seed in the 2017 Horizon League Tournament, and will begin play with a semifinal contest on Saturday, November 18.