CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's basketball team picked up its first win of the 2019-20 campaign Wednesday evening, earning a 110-41 victory over Davis & Elkins in the season's home opener. The Vikings now stand at 1-1 on the young season, and 1-0 when playing at the Wolstein Center this year.
· Four Vikings finished the game in double-figures, led by Mariah Miller and Taylah Levy who both finished with 20-point games. Miller posted a game-high 26 points, while Levy recorded 22, Mariah White added 14 points and Isabelle Gradwell chipped in 12.
· As a team, the Vikings grabbed 49 total rebounds, led by Savanna Crockett with 11, including six offensive boards.
· The Vikings shot 54-percent from the floor (39-for-72) and 53-percent from behind-the-arc (15-for-28).
· Cleveland State recorded 31 assists on 39 made field goals, with Julia Hintz notching a team-high eight assists and Savanna Crockett adding seven.
· Aminata Ly finished the game with five blocked shots, while Savanna Crockett and Nadia Dumas both added one block.
·The Vikings combined for 21 steals on the game, including nine from Mariah White.
· Cleveland State's 110 total points marked the 12th 100-point game in program history, and the second straight season that the Vikings reached the milestone in their home opener (113 vs. Salem in 2018).
· Cleveland State's 31 total assists marked a single-game record for the Vikings.
· Mariah Miller set a career-high with her 26 points against Davis & Elkins, while her 10 made field goals also marked a personal-best.
· Taylah Levy's 22 points against the Senators marked her first collegiate points, as she went 7-for-8 from the field, 3-for-3 from behind-the-arc and 5-for-5 from the free throw line.
· Savanna Crockett has now recorded double-digit rebounds in each of the first two games, and has a team-high 24 on the season.
· Mariah White set a personal-best with her nine steals against Davis & Elkins.
PDF BOX SCORE: Cleveland State 110, Davis & Elkins 41
The Vikings controlled play throughout the entire contest, as they opened the game on a 7-0 run – which was started with a Mariah White three-pointer – forcing an early Davis & Elkins timeout just 1:46 into the contest. Cleveland State then held the Senators scoreless over the next six minutes, extending its lead to 22-0 to begin the contest. After grabbing seven steals during the first period, the Vikings were able to gain a 26-4 advantage after just 10 minutes of action.
During the second period the Viking defense was able to hold Davis & Elkins to single digits until the 2:22 mark, holding a sizeable lead throughout the entire frame, and taking a 44-13 lead into the halftime break following a JaMiya Braxton three-pointer.
The Vikings continued their dominate play throughout the third period, extending their advantage to 48 points in the closing moments of the frame, and taking a 76-31 lead into the final 10 minutes of action.
The Cleveland State offense continued its dominance during the fourth period then, as the Vikings shot 80-percent from the floor en route to eclipsing the 100-point mark. The Vikings were able to reach the milestone on a Taylah Levy jumper at the 2:35 mark, and then Levy went on to score five of Cleveland State's final 10 points, as the Vikings earned the 100-41 victory in their home opener.
Cleveland State will begin a three-game roadswing this weekend, traveling to LIU for a 7:00 p.m. contest on Saturday, November 16.