- Cleveland State concluded play in the UTSA Tournament with an 0-2 record
- The Vikings managed nine shots on the day
- Cleveland State held a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks
- Grace Grant, Briana Niedermeier and Elena Gutlove each had two shots for Cleveland State
- Stevie Holbrook made four saves in net for the Vikings
SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- The Cleveland State women's soccer team concluded play in the UTSA Tournament with a 2-0 loss to Rice on Sunday at the Parks West Athletic Complex.
Rice, which improved to 3-2-0 overall on the season, tallied goals in both the first and second periods. The Owls got on the board in the 22 minute when Louise Stephens found the back of the net giving Rice a 1-0 lead.
Rice pushed the lead to 2-0 late in the match with the Vikings pressing for an equalizing goal. Haley Kostyshyn scored her third goal of the season in the 87th minute.
Cleveland State, which dropped to 2-3-0 on the year, fired nine shots on the day including four shots on goal. Grace Grant, Briana Niedermeier and Elena Gutlove each recorded two shots to lead the Vikings.
Stevie Holbrook made four saves on the day and faced a total of 11 shots in the match.
Gutlove and Kailah Ransom were each named to the all-tournament team for the Vikings.
Cleveland State returns to action on Thursday (Sept. 12) when it hosts Niagara at 7 p.m. on Krenzler Field.
UTSA All-Tournament Team
Elena Gutlove, Cleveland State