MIAMISBURG, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's tennis team picked up its ninth straight win Sunday afternoon, earning a 6-1 victory at Wright State to remain perfect in Horizon League play. Cleveland State enters the final week of regular season play with a 14-7 overall record and a 7-0 mark against league opponents.
PDF BOX SCORE | Cleveland State 6, Wright State 1
· Cleveland State earned the early doubles point for the ninth straight match, including all seven matches in Horizon League play.
· With her win at the top of the lineup, Isabella Spindler now has 57 career singles wins.
· Kateryna Avram remained perfect in Horizon League play after picking up a win at the No. 6 spot Sunday, improving to 7-0 against league opponents.
· With the 6-1 win against the Raiders, the Vikings extended their current win streak to nine straight matches.
· The win over the Raiders kept the Vikings undefeated in Horizon League play, as they are now 7-0 for the first time in program history.
Once again the Vikings were able to gain the early 1-0 advantage after picking up the doubles point, earning matching 6-4 wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots. Lara Prosenjak and Kateryna Avram bounced back with a 6-4 victory at No. 2 doubles, while Siân Payne and Gaby Schoenberg battled for a 6-4 win at No. 3 doubles.
Cleveland State was able to quickly extend its lead to 3-0 after picking up the first two singles points, as Isabella Spindler earned a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 1 singles and Siân Payne posted a 6-4, 6-0 win at the No. 4 spot. Both Spindler and Payne are now 6-1 in league matches this season.
Kateryna Avram then clinched the match for the Vikings, earning a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 6 singles, marking her team-leading 24th singles win of the year.
Although the Raiders were able to get on the board with a win at No. 3 singles, the Vikings closed the match with the final two points, as Klara Mrcela and Gaby Schoenberg both picked up wins at No. 2 and No. 5 singles, respectively.
From The Sidelines
"It was nice to get the early doubles point today, I thought we played really well at 2 and 3 doubles to get us on the board early. Isabella and Siân set the tone for us in singles then, giving us a nice 3-0 lead to take the pressure off some of the rest of the matches, and Kate was able to clinch the match for us with another solid win on her court. It was good for Klara to win the third-set tiebreaker, and it was great to see Gaby bounce back with a come-from-behind win today. We now have a short week to prepare for IUPUI and UIC, so we will get back to practice this week and look forward to closing out the regular season on a strong note." – head coach Frank Polito
· Cleveland State will close out the regular season at the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion next weekend, hosting IUPUI (Friday, April 19) and UIC (Saturday, April 20).
Doubles (1, 2, 3)
1. Riley/Morgan (WSU) def. Mrcela/Spindler (CSU), 6-1
2. Prosenjak/Avram (CSU) def. Milano/Whitney (WSU), 6-4
3. Payne/Schoenberg (CSU) def. Craciun/Jones (WSU), 6-4
Singles (1, 4, 6, 3, 2, 5)
1. Isabella Spindler (CSU) def. Andreea Craciun (WSU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Klara Mrcela (CSU) def. Haily Morgan (WSU), 6-4, 5-7, 1-0(7)
3. Madison Riley (WSU) def. Lara Prosenjak (CSU), 7-6(3), 6-4
4. Siân Payne (CSU) def. Jillian Milano (WSU), 6-4, 6-0
5. Gaby Schoenberg (CSU) def. Grace Whitney (WSU), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Kateryna Avram (CSU) def. Anna Jones (WSU), 6-3, 6-3